Nick Pasko

Programmer goes enterpreneurship.

Friday, August 26, 2005

8 pages that make a difference

So, the business plan was effectively done by today morning. Actually, I was pretty flattered by how little time it took. Of course, it surely needs some enchancements in several places - some rephrases, mostly, to make the text flow through one's mind without gripping his attention with those little obstacles like badly formed sentence, unusual word etc. Anyway, I'm pretty good with my native language (yes, english is not the one), so that won't take much time.

Actually, I have thought about writing a business plan earlier when I was thinking over several ideas for shareware products. However, it always scared me - come on, how can I write a business plan if I don't have any economical background and if I even don't know how to do that in the first place? So these thoughts got me scared enough to write completely nothing. Sometimes I even didn't bother sitting and writing a product overview and a functional specification - the tasks I feel myself pretty confident at. And I have dropped several ideas without giving any deep consideration to it - I wonder whether there were potential bestsellers among them.. :)

..well, that was not the thing I was going to write about, anyway. :)

And what I was going to write about is that it's strange how my attitude has changed once I put all my thoughts and considerations on the virtual paper. First of all, I am now much more confident that the product will be a success, to some degree. Earlier I hoped it won't be a failure, so that's some difference.

Second line of my confidence is that I'm not bound to my may-be-investor friend anymore. I would be glad to make business with him, of course, but if we won't come to a mutuall acceptment - I will take my business plan and go to someone else. I am pretty sure now that I have a detailed business plan, I will find funds to make it work, one way or another. No more "I need a sum of money, but where can I get it" whining. No more "aw, he's interested in my idea, I should stick with this person whatever the price" anxiety. I have a busness model to show to potential investors, and it's up to them to decide whether it interests them or not.

I certainly don't think that my plan is ideal, I'm sure it will change its shape (and perhaps even some basic ideas, who knows) as time goes and as experience stack up. But it is a platform that gives me a solid ground in the field I'm intending to start my career at. And that's just great.

However, I have already felt the side effect of being driven by my ideas. Today, when I came to my day-job (having just recently finished the plan at home), I was so excited that I couldn't get myself sit and start some work. I felt that my job is pointless now as I get a new path to follow. That was really hard to overcome, though after about an hour of fight with myself I finally sat and lauched Visual Studio. I have a project to finish before I can leave peacefully, so I'll have to take the pain of working at my now-hated-day-job. Of course, I can leave at once with a bit of a scandal, but I don't feel that would be right to leave my work unfinished. Damn my "do-good" attitude. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home